The Buckle Up New York enforcement campaign will be conducted from May 22rd to June 4, 2017.† The Port Washington Police will be participating in the Buckle Up New York campaign in conjunction with a CLICK IT OR TICKET national mobilization.† Regular patrols, the Traffic Safety Enforcement Unit and the Problem Oriented Policing Unit will be making a special effort to monitor seatbelt usage.† The Port Washington Police will continue to employ numerous ďsafety inspection checkpointsĒ at various locations throughout Port Washington.
- Currently, about 90% of New Yorkers always buckle up. †While this is higher than the national average, the CLICK IT OR TICKET campaign is intended to increase that usage rate to at least 91%.† Thankfully, the Port Washington community is at 90% seatbelt use.† Please take note and help increase seatbelt usage.
- It is estimated that between 30% and 40% of highway deaths involved motorists who were not using seatbelts.† This is a higher percentage than deaths involving alcohol or speed.
- All front passengers must be restrained.
- Children less than four years old, but weighing more than forty pounds, may be restrained in a booster seat with a lap shoulder belt.
- Children ages four, five and six, must be properly restrained in an appropriate child restraint, one that meets the childís height and weight recommendations according to the manufacturer.
- Back seat passengers up to age sixteen must be properly restrained, either in the appropriate child restraint system or by seatbelt if over age six.